There's a variation of this in the movie It's a Wonderful Life, when George and Mary Bailey give the Martini family three gifts when they move into their new home:
- Bread - that this house may never know hunger.
- Salt - that life may always have flavor.
- Wine - that joy and prosperity may reign forever.
Here are a few other traditional gifts I've heard about or received in the past:
- Candle: So you'll always have light to banish the dark times
- Coins: For luck (When I bought my Jeep Wrangler, a coworker threw a handful of coins on the floor by the driver's seat. A few years later, when the car was completely totaled by a drunk driver--who pushed me into oncoming traffic and two other cars after he clobbered me--I survived. I like to think it's because of the luck Cheryl tossed my way)
- Honey or Sugar: To remember life's sweetness
And now for something completely unrelated: