01 February, 2009

Famous Book Covers as Posters

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

My B.A. was in English Literature, which I earned from the University of Iowa. While I concentrated on Medieval and Renaissance lit (yeah, I know, it wasn't a particularly marketable focus), I did study a wide range of European and American authors of the 20th century. I would take classes devoted to a single author (Hemingway, Fitzgerald) or to a particular movement or genre (magical realism, Caribbean authors, Harlem Renaissance). For four years of my life I would read almost non-stop; during my heaviest semesters I would read 8 to 10 books or plays a week. I've not had that kind of luxury since, and these days I'm lucky if I find time to read a novel a month.

So anyway, last night I was trying to come up with some interesting art for my office. I've been lugging around the same framed paintings and prints for years, and while I love them, it may be time for a change. So imagine my delight to discover that AllPosters.com sells posters of classic book covers. I think I want to get the one of The Great Gatsby for certain, but I have space for two more, and I can't quite narrow it down. Should I get Brave New World by Aldous Huxley? How about Kerouac's On the Road? Or something whimsical like The Wizard of Oz? The choices seem endless, and I wish I had more wallspace.

But first, we will have to finish the basement remodel, whenever that will be...

No comments: