Soooo...I haven't had much time to update the blog, because we've been working on restoring the condo back to a habitable state, and getting the new set of tenants comfortably settled.
After the initial shock of the destruction wore off, we began to notice a few more problems.
It looks like they did lock the pit bulls in the blue bedroom--the one where the floors need to be replaced because of all the dog urine--because both sides of the door had deep scratches through the Venetian plaster and all the way into the drywall. The doors themselves were also scratched up pretty badly. Poor dogs. I don't blame them. I blame their sucky owner. Some people don't deserve dogs.
We had three companies come in and give estimates for replacing the damaged floor, and a fourth gave us a verbal estimate over the phone. The estimates ranged from $1500-$2000 for this room alone; the living room will need major repair work as well, but we're holding off on that for the moment for a number of reasons.
Although we called in the company who sanded and refinished our floors at The Box House, we did not use them this time, as their estimate came in too high. Instead, we went with Cornell's Floor Sanding of Chicago. I haven't seen the final result, but will be over there this weekend to take pictures. I'll post the before and afters then, and the details of just what they did.
So far, our costs are totaling $3500 or so for the damage that was done to the condo. Their deposit was $2000. We now have the fun task of trying to collect for damages.