15 March, 2008

Fairy Door -- A Door for, Um, The Fairies

Here's our front door:


But wait, what's that in the lower-left corner?

Mom found this Fairy Door, made by Enchanted Fairy Doors, on eBay. Fairy Doors seem to be all the rage, now. You can place them on the interior or exterior of your house to give your house fairies, sprites, and guardian creatures their own entryway. The door will only open for them, of course.

Mom looked at quite a few before settling on this one. Most were too whimsical and cottage like, suitable for someone from Lord of the Rings, but not a hip urban-dwelling fairy. This style better matched the brick facade of The Box House.

I've loved fairies, fairy tales, and myths since I was a kid. One of my earliest--and favorite--memories of my father is from when I was six years old and in the hospital for strabismus surgery to attempt to correct a lazy eye (the first of three such surgeries over the years). It was my first real time away from home and family, and I was terrified. But my dad spent the whole night with me, sleeping in one of those crappy little hospital chairs. When I was awake, he read Peter Pan to me. I still have the book. Although he didn't get into mythology as much as I did, over the years he would buy me folklore collections or fairy tale books he'd find. One of the last ones he gave me was a collection of Disney fairy tales. He'd probably think we were crazy for epoxy-ing a fairy door to the front of the house, but he'd no doubt humor us.
"When the first baby laughed for the first time, the laugh broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies." —James M. Barrie, creator of Peter Pan

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Cute. That door does match the house well... important!

Ethan@OneProjectCloser said...

I did not know these doors even existed! And I don't recall ever seeing one on a house. That's really interesting.

Ethan One Project Closer

Joanne said...

Jennifer--The fairy bricks are a little closer to the color of our bricks than the photo is showing. We're debating about repainting our door blue to match!

Ethan--Truthfully, I haven't seen them on anyone else's house, either, but when I looked online I quickly found over a dozen vendors and scores for sale on eBay. Makes me wonder what else I'm missing out there!