17 March, 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

There will be no work on The Box House today, and very little work-work. If all goes as planned, Ted and I will have a movie date and then a few pints at the Celtic Knot, and a few more at Tommy Nevins before stumbling home.

There was a time, way long ago, that I played the bagpipes with the University of Iowa Scottish Highlanders. We were often kept busy on St. Patrick's Day playing gigs at local bars. You want a picture? Unfortunately, the only one I have scanned in is this tiny wee one of the club officers; the rest of my photos are all in storage. I'm third from the left. Yeah, I know; you'll just have to take my word that that's me.

Okay, how about this instead? Here I am climbing Crough Patrick in 2004. According to legend, this is the mountain where St. Patrick stood when he chased the snakes, dragons, and demons out of Ireland.

Gawd, I really do need a new raincoat. I've had that one since college. But I love it!

So, anybody have crazy plans for celebrating the day?

For more vintage Irish postcard images, go to Irish Postcards.

5 comments:

Ethan@OneProjectCloser said...

The bagpipes are a serious instrument. I'm impressed. Me, my wife, and some friends will probably grab a pint to celebrate.

Marilyn said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day, Joanne - And I fully expect you to slipper-dust the floor today while playing bagpipes.

Evanston is a great place to celebrate with many good pubs. Is Tommy Nevin's still there? It was a Kendall hangout of ours.

Additionally, I have a long-seated desire to go to Ireland. It's not my "old country," but it is pulling me home, anyway. Nice pic!

Joanne said...

Marilyn--You still getting good use out of those slippers? We went to Tommy Nevin's when the little girls from the Trinity and McNulty schools of Irish dance were performing. Ended up bringing my Mom, who had a blast schmoozing with the other ladies in for an afternoon pint.

Ireland's not my born country, either (Polish-Finnish). I've just always loved the music and folklore. But Ted's Irish descent, so close enough.

Ethan--Don't be too impressed. I was a horrible piper. :-) A couple of us used to practice in the cemetery in Iowa City so as not to disturb the neighbors.

Ethan@OneProjectCloser said...

Practicing in the cemetery... kinda creepy

Marilyn said...

Yes, we are dusting away. They really help! Glad to know Tommy's is still around. It must be nicely seasoned by now.

Polish-Finnish, eh? You must have some great butter cookies.